This episode is about one of my favorite hobbies. It’s something I began to do when I started to get busy living.
I went back and forth if I should do an episode about this because it’s different than the topics I’ve covered so far. However to me it fits under the get busy living theme. I’m sure many of you love to travel or would love to travel more. You want to travel like a millionaire without actually paying full price.
I’m going to say before you decide to listen to this episode or not is if traveling isn’t for you, then this podcast won’t be helpful to you. I just want to be honest upfront because I know your time is valuable.
If you don’t live in the United States, it’s going to be harder to take advantage of many of the offers I talk about. It doesn’t mean there aren’t travel deals in the country you live, but everything I talk about assumes that you live in the United States.
I know i have listeners from all around the world and just want to be upfront because I value your time.
If you’re still with me, then let’s get started to talk about traveling.
Traveling is something that I wanted to do more of when I dreamt of the type of life I wanted to create. That’s why I wanted more freedom in life. I wanted to travel. Traveling gets me excited. I love being at airports. I get excited the night before I know we’re going somewhere.
However if I wanted to be able to travel more, I had to figure out a way to make it more affordable. That’s what led me to travel hacking starting in 2011. And it has allowed my wife and I to take trips we would never be able to afford.
When we travel now, I look at our options for flights and hotels. Sometimes I’ll use the points and miles I’ve collected to lower the cost or make it free. Or if the price is right, I’ll just pay and save those points and miles.
The points and miles have allowed us to take amazing trips, stay in nice hotels for half the cost.
I hope by the end of the episode you get a great overview of the potential with travel hacking and how to get started.
Some topics I cover:
- What is a mistake fare?
- How we stayed in a $550 per night hotel for only$164 per night
- What is travel hacking?
- How i got started with travel hacking
- My mistake when getting my first credit card
- How to get a two night stay valued at $2000+ for free
- Why changing your points into cash is a horrible idea
- How to quickly get elite status at hotels
- How to check in luggage for free
- Who should not be signing up for credit cards
- How to double the rewards you get
- When I keep paying the annual free and when I cancel
- An example of how my wife will fly domestically for free with me until the end of 2015
- and more…
Links for this episode:
- Ways to meet minimum spend
- How to use Amazon payment
- Chase ultimate reward points overview
- How to get the Southwest Companion Pass
- Sign up for Uber – get $20 off first ride (my affiliate link)
- My epic travel hacking report (plus flying in the A380 suites)
- Airbnb.com (my affiliate link)
Resource to get updates about travel deals:
- Flyertalk.com – the biggest message board online about travel
- Milepoint.com – another message board
- Flightdeal.com – lists cheap fares
Sign up for the two credit cards I mention (both not affiliate links):
My favorite travel blogs:
To learn how to get started travel hacking:
If you enjoyed, I would really appreciate a review in iTunes!