I’ve written about making positive changes to help you live a better and more fulfilling life. I’ve inspired you with my story that you’re capable of your wildest dreams.
I’m going to be honest about my advice. They aren’t exciting or cool. They’re more mundane than thrilling.
To some, working on personal development isn’t all that sexy.
I’ve told you to cut back on television, news, gossip, and reading anything that’s not filling your brain up with clean water. I’ve told you to make a not to do list. It seems like I’m telling you to take away all your fun. I’m not.
I’m just reminding you to get your priorities straight if you want to create the life you’ve always dreamt of.
I still do all those things I’ve told you not to do, but I do it less and have replaced it with a commitment to change my life. There’s been days of just working and not leaving the house. My free time is spent reading, writing, emailing, or networking. It’s not glamourous to some.
How has it affected me? Those tiny and unsexy changes have made 2011 my best year ever. I feel like it’s just the beginning of great things too.
What is my secret in one sentence? I’ve made sure I’m putting more time towards my goals compared to doing activities that don’t.
I don’t want people to think I’m perfect and don’t watch television, only read inspirational books, and only listen to instructional or motivational audio in my car. Far from it.
I still read the USA Today every single day. I love it. We shouldn’t live in a bubble and think the world is perfect. Stories of natural disasters, the economy, and tragedy makes us appreciate how precious life is.
It’s just that we shouldn’t consume more than we need to know. Watching the news morning, throughout the day and a night is too much. Also there is a lot of news that we don’t even need to know. Local convenience store robbed anyone?
Enjoy what you want to enjoy. We need to recharge when working so hard. We all have different ways of doing that.
Do you want to watch television for four hours straight? Go ahead. Do you want to read TMZ.com? Why not. Spend an hour on Youtube? Go for it. You want that big bowl of ice cream? Do it.
It’s football season now and I’m watching a lot of football all weekend. It’s something I love and have no plans of giving it up.
There’s a time and place for all that.
However, I know what’s going to be more important to me six months from now. I’m spending the majority of my time on the tedious, sometimes boring process to get to success. Don’t get me wrong I love what I do online, but success takes hard work, discipline, and commitment. It’s not sexy sometimes.
Is it time for some changes?
You have to look at your life and see if you’re feeling stuck, unhappy, or unfulfilled. How far is that gap between where you are now and where you want to be?
If it’s pretty far, it’s time for some changes.
We all know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.
If I looked up the word in the dictionary, would I see you? You would have seen me! I believed if I kept wishing, my life would miraculously change.
Just like I want my food hot in a minute, I wanted my life become perfect right away. I wanted to skip all the hard work. Yet I kept same habits, attitude, and self beliefs day in and day out. 100% insane.
Thank goodness I wised up. It took about five years but better late than never. I realized the choices I made in my life up till then had led me to that life. It wasn’t a streak of bad luck or being cursed.
If your free time is consumed by surfing the web and television, but complain you don’t have time to start a business, write your first novel, exercise, or spend quality time with your family, then it’s time for some changes.
Stop making excuses!! You have time for the meaningless but no time for the meaningful? Get your priorities straight.
How do do you know if you need to make changes in your life? Look at the results you’re getting.
- If you say you want to spend more time with your family, but you’re always attached to your Blackberry or iPhone, you’re going to have to make changes.
- If you’re exercising six days a week for an hour, but eat like you’re at a Vegas buffet every day and not losing weight, you’re going to have to make changes.
- If you eat out every meal, go drinking with friends on the weekends and then wonder why you never have enough money, you’re going to have to make changes.
- If you spend three hours a night parked in front of the television, but complain about not having any luck in life, you’re going to have to make changes.
You can’t keep doing the same thing an expect changes! But you don’t have to give up everything to make positive changes.
- Have a tech free night where everyone doesn’t use their phone or computers. It’s just quality family time.
- Instead of eating whatever you want seven days a week, you eat healthy for six days and have a one free day. If in the long run you’re still losing or staying at your ideal weight, then enjoy that free day. Or if 80% of the meals you eat per week are healthy, then the 20% that aren’t won’t be the end of the world.
- Cut back on eating out, cook more meals at home, and you’ll have more money to go drinking on the weekends.
- Record your shows so you can skip through the commercials. Find the ones you can do without and cut back. Eliminate channel surfing.
Do What Unsuccessful People Aren’t Willing to Do
You will have to make more time for the important because we all have the same 24 hours in a day. Maybe it’s waking up earlier, staying home instead of going out, or working during your lunch break. It’s doing the unsexy.
We all want to sleep more, go out more, and enjoy our lunch break but remember this:
The biggest difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is that successful people are wiling to do what unsuccessful people are not.
If you’re not where you want to be, you can’t keep doing what you’ve been doing.
I know you want to be successful. That’s why you read my blog. Be unsexy more often, and you’ll love the results you get in the long run.
What are you willing to do that unsuccessful people are not?
Are you going to bring sexy back?